For December, I mixed the tunes to the WLWF Monthly Mix Up. All Funk 45s I scored mostly at the Platenbeurs in Utrecht, spiced up with some contemporary deep Funk bombs that have been just recently (re)released. Voice by Rich Jammin. Now git!
Last week I was booked at a last minute gig at the Bagels & Beans flagship store in Amsterdam. There was a genuine barista competition going on, and as everybody knows, coffee mixes greatly with vinyl. Even more so, with some organic, loungy Jazz grooves I laid up on the platters all night long. Thanks B&B for the warm welcome and the awesome bagels! Track of the night: Charles Earland – Black Talk
Last weekend, my friends from Said & Done booked me to get a chill vibe going at their record release show between and after the bands playing. Wonderful times, thanks for the hook-up and see ya in Rotterdam! Track of the night: Truus Simons – Toen Ik Naar Een Naaste Zocht
I’ve posted a new mixtape on Mixcloud. It’s an all-45 affair, raw sounds from the late 60s, early 70s. Hope you enjoy hearing it as much as I enjoyed making it!
1. 5th Dimension – Sunshine Of Your Love (Soul City)
2. Soul Partners – Spead (Bell)
3. John Phillip Soul And His Stone Marching Band – That Memphis Thing (Pepper)
4. Leon Austin – Turn Me Loose (King)
5. Jay Dee Bryant – Get It (Come On And Get It) (Enjoy)
6. Sam And The Soul Walkers – Soul Walk (Trans American)
7. The Fabulous Shalimars – Funky Line Pt 1 (Rack)
8. Wilmer And The Dukes – Get It (Instr) (Aphrodisiac)
9. Sandy Nelson – Alligator Boogaloo (Audition)
10. Buddy Miles – Life Is What You Make It (Mercury)
11. Johnny Otis – The Hash (King)
12. Clarence Reid – Chicken Hawk (Alston)
13. The National Souls – Bony Moronie (Lanor)
14. Laura Lee – Wanted: Lover, No Experience Necessary (Chess)
15. Soul Machine – Bag Of Goodies (Pzazz)
16. Mighty Sam – I Need Alot Of Lovin’ (Amy)
17. Clarence Carter – Tell Daddy (Fame)
18. The Maskman & The Agents – One Eye Open (Dynamo)
19. Dave “Baby” Cortez – Born Funky (All Platinum)
20. Bobby Patterson And The Mustangs – Broadway Ain’t Funky No More (Jetstar)
21. The Packers – Go ‘Head On (Pure Soul Music)
22. Jimmy Hughes – A Shot Of Rhythm & Blues (Fame)
Thursday, finally – we’re back with another edition of weLOVEweFUNK in my home away from home: Eindhoven. It’s the week of Dutch Design Week, internationally known for AAA grade expos of contemporary art & design.
The party’s at Nul Zes, a new venue with lots going for it: small, industrial, hot & sweaty – doesn’t get any better than that you might say. Well come check us out: Kid Sundance, DEES, DamnRijt and myself on the decks with lots of Funk, Soul, Brasil, Hip Hop, Afro and Boogie on the platters. Entrance is 5 euros – preorder via Paypal to email@example.com.
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/169511819919324
Location: Nul Zes, Nachtegaallaan 15 Eindhoven
Time: 22:00 – late
Entrance 5 euros
Next Sunday, I’m spinning the goods with my man DEES (www.dees.tv) at Ketelhuis – two steps away from Skatepark Area 51 in Eindhoven. There’s a huge BBQ and a chef that’s second to none. There’s even a pool, and it’s not just there for keeping the beer cold. Bring boardshorts & bikinis!
04.08.2013 18:00 – midnight
April 12: I’m spinning at TAC Eindhoven, a creative community that’s very up and coming in Eindhoven. Will DJ at the opening of the REFRAME festival, where all facets of photography will be on display for 10 days, with my friends KID SUNDANCE, DEES and NICK LEBEAT of Kelderman/Van Noort fame. There will be some presentations from 19:00, party around ten-ish I guess.
April 19: the 24th edition of weLOVEweFUNK (we’re almost 4 years up and running with a party every 6 weeks, more or less). This time, no guest DJ’s as you’re used to by now, but just me and my partner in crime DJ DAMNRIJT. It’s gonna be floorfillers all around, no obscurities, just funky goodness from the hitcharts. Nice for a change. Free entrance as always.
April 20: a few friends of mine in hardcore punk bands SAID AND DONE and COLD REALITY throw a moshy get together in the village of Sintunnis, Brabant. They asked me to counter the fury with some soothing grooves. Will be a good one for sure. Free entrance.
March 8, there’s yet another weLOVEweFUNK party at Skatepark Area 51 in Eindhoven. This time, we’ve found Pete Isaac willing & able to show what he means by Jelly Jazz. It’s an attitude rather than a style of music…be sure to read the upcoming interview on welovewefunk.nl with this institute on Funk, Soul, Jazz and Latin who has been around for more than 20 years in the UK Funk scene.
The fifth installment of a series of mixtapes that’s improving in quality as my digging / collection of 45s grows. For this one I wanted to make a point. Music with a message…hmmm yes, sort of.
Sometimes I hear folks dissing new funk bands and releases, only because it’s not from the late sixties. First of all, that’s lame. Second of all: I’m-a prove you wrong, motherfucker!
As a real battle strategist I gathered some of my latest acquired troops and mercenaries on the 1 and 2, separating the old and the new 45s in two teams. These fierce teams battle song by song for the listeners’ respect. I dare to think that after an hour you will never diss new funk no more.
1. James Brown – Lowdown Popcorn (King)
2. On The Spot Trio – Critically Acclaimed Shit (Colemine)
3. Rufus Thomas – Funky Mississippi (Stax)
4. The Grips – Tennessee Strut (Ged Soul)
5. Little Oscar – Funky Buzzard (Deke)
6. Monophonics – Like Yesterday (Colemine)
7. Davy Jones – Sophisticated Sissy (Philips)
8. Mighty Imperials – Matador (Daptone)
9. Jesse Anderson – Swing Too High (Cadet)
10. Third Coast Kings – Tonic Stride (Record Kicks)
11. Soul East – Funky Lady (Deluxe)
12. Td And Jimmy James 3 – Jalapeno Pep Part 2 (Mosquito Hawk)
13. The Alliance – Cupid’s Holding (Wand)
14. T Bottoms – Pistol Whip (Funk Night)
15. Raw Soul – Leave My Beat Alone (Plut)
16. Jungle Fire – Comencemos (Colemine)
17. Juggy – Oily (Sue)
18. Kool Men & Diamond T – One For The Road (New Look)
19. Hank Ballard – Come On Wit’ It (King)
20. Sharon Jones – Got A Thing On My Mind (Daptone)
21. Seven Souls – Groove In (Venture)
22. Lefties Soul Connection – Have Love Will Travel (Melting Pot Music)
Tune in on mixcloud
Follow me on Mixcloud
All things funky45s 60s 70s amsterdam b-boy beats blues boogaloo boxmeer brasil breaks damnrijt dees diggin dj dj format eindhoven funk funkaflex groningen hip hop hot sauce ilovevinyl instrumental interviews jazz ketelhuis kid sundance meltin pot mixtape nijmegen party pete isaac r&b rich jammin rotterdam sampled by soul struttin TAC tilburg utrecht vinyl waxwell welovewefunk